Friday, January 3, 2014

New go-to Recipe! Adding it to my list!

At the end of last week I had not made it to the store, and really didn't want to have to have Greg grab food on the way home. So I looked up quick last minute marinades and found this website. I didn't want something that had a ton of ingredients since it would have to just be stuff that I had on hand. Well I went with the "Salad Days Chicken Marinade". So simple, plus I had Italian dressing and green onions on hand! I have always marinated veggies in Italian dressing but never really thought that it would taste that great on its on, on chicken. I have done many marinades that had Italian dressing mixed in that were amazing. So I thought what the heck, maybe the green onions would make it yummy.

So I got all my ingredients:

"Salad Days Chicken Marinade

Okay, if you’re really time-pressed, skip the scallions. This marinade still yields succulent, tasty chicken.
Combine:
1 cup of your favorite store-bought vinaigrette-style dressing
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Freshly ground pepper to taste"


Then I picked my method of cooking:
"Rainy Day Marinated Pan-Fried Chicken with Quick Reduction Sauce. Don’t let soggy weather ruin your dinner plans. If it’s too rainy to grill, pan fry chicken instead. Marinate chicken for 10 minutes, see directions above. In a skillet heat one tablespoon oil over medium-high flame. Remove chicken from marinade and brown chicken pieces in skillet. Cover skillet, reduce flame and pan fry chicken, turning pieces and adjusting flame as needed. You may need to add a tablespoon of marinade to the pan if chicken starts to dry or burn. When chicken is cooked through, remove cover and pour remaining marinade over chicken pieces. Simmer chicken, spooning sauce over chicken pieces until marinade is slightly reduced. Serve immediately."

So I thought what the heck, maybe the green onions would make it yummy. It was AMAZING. I loved that it uses the rest of the marinade as a sauce, since I love my food saucy! I will probably be reducing my marinades a lot more often, even if I do marinate it over night.

I don't know why but I have never cooked my chicken on med-high. I was always scared to go higher than medium, I know that is probably crazy. I was always afraid of burning my chicken. Cooking it on med-high ensured the chicken browned nicely and even browned the sauce a little bit, which added flavor. Once I tasted it I knew I just HAD to add some artichokes, they went perfectly with it. I then served it over angel hair and drizzled the extra sauce on top. It was delish!!! I didn't even taste like Italian dressing. Greg kept asking what was in it because he was surprised that I threw it together with what little we had on hand. I have already made it again this week. I added a little lemon juice this time, just because I love lemon and citrus. I think I might even make it again next week and add mushrooms and top it with goat cheese (you had to know that was coming hahaha). That is what I love about this marinade so simple and versatile. So yep, add this to my list of go-to recipes.

Will update with pics next week when I make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment